Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Who Stole My Jesus - part 1


I want to know where my Jesus is.

Gone is the Jesus from childhood, who sat in the painting with the children around him welcoming them to him. That Jesus let me know I wasn't alone.

Gone is the Jesus I learned that is my personal savior. You know the one, that without belief in Him, there's no way to get the golden ticket. That Jesus let me know despite being who I was, I could go home.

Gone is the Jesus with the miracles, such as blood into wine, fish for many, healing the leapers, etc. That Jesus let me know that God doesn't ignore us, that He so loved us, He sent his only Son.

My Jesus is all of those things. He is that word that is on the tip of my tongue, but escapes me... where you almost have it, and it is very familiar, yet eludes you.

It has also come to my attention, that my Jesus is also none of those things from above.

If you're raised Christian, you KNOW He is the son of God. To think anything is well, not Christian *insert gasp here* You also KNOW that He saves. (Have I ever mentioned how much I love the shirt where Jesus is defending the hockey goal? )

Beyond those two basic precepts, there is the conservative Jesus... the way and the light Jesus who is the ONLY one who can save us all. Insert China-child argument here.

Then there is the Liberal Jesus, who was divine, but really is more of a really great prophet that teaches us to love. Insert Atheist's kids have souls too argument here.

Really, there are thousands of versions of Jesus and everyone seems to have the right and true one, unfortunately, everyone else just doesn't get it and refuses to come to their Jesus.

I don't get it.

Why is it so easy for people to believe He is divine? Why is it so hard for me to believe the same?

Why do so many want to argue for their Jesus? If Jesus is a personal savior, should our point of view regarding Him be personal as well?

Why do I have to take on faith the trinity? Does that mean St Peter will send me down the other escalator? What if He isn't The Word? What if he was just a man? Would that be so bad?

I could go on and on. I miss the days of I knew who Jesus was. I feel like he's been hijacked by agendas and His image morphed by those who insist he must have looked like he was raised in Sweden instead of the middle east and he only loves Americans.

Honestly, I miss my Jesus and for everyone who has taken Him away piece by piece and hijacked him, shame on you. I want my Jesus back.

No comments: